Saturday 12 September 2015

Uncle Arthur's Bible Book by Arthur S. Maxwell

31/8 - I have wonderful memories of sitting up in bed reading this with my maternal grandma (these grandparents were seventh day Adventists) as a 4, 5, 6-year. I would get up in the morning, when I was staying over night with them, and dash down to Grandma's bed to read 'stories' with her while Grandad made breakfast for everyone - scrambled eggs with toast 'soldiers' for Grandma and me, toast for Grandad and rockmelon for my brother. I loved those mornings, and by association I loved those stories.

Years later, at high school, despite my now obvious atheism, I was the only one in my religious instruction class that actually knew any of the bible stories - the parting of the red sea, King Herod's plan to kill all the babies in Judea in order to kill Jesus while he was still a baby, the building of the ark, and so on. This didn't change my later opinions on what was and was not real when it came to the bible, but the stories definitely stuck in my mind - they're still in here 25 years later.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.